Official Sof2 history

Yusuf

3D# Captain
So hello again guys,

Yesterday i had a discussion with a life long friend who also played SOF2 back in the days about how sof2MP was set up etc etc, like for example how did sof2 multiplayer looked like in 2003/2004 when MP was first aired.
But we didn't really quite know how MP silver/gold is officially setted up and who is "responsible" for making the official SOF2 silver singleplayer game, a multiplayer game.

Knowledge is power and i really want to know if there is anybody in here who knows like the history of SoF2 MP...

Kind regards,

Yusuf

IIRC, I had done some digging in the past and ended up finding some LinkedIn profiles of the game developers who worked on SoF2MP.
I even remember I had DM'ed one of them; This was ages ago I don't think I ever went back to check whether or not he had replied.

I'd also like to know the history of this legendary game which frankily is still kicking after 22 years, and was arguably the foundation upon which Call of Duty was built (idk if im wrong).

I'd also like to know the history of this legendary game which frankily is still kicking after 22 years
This!

Even at the company where i work at, sometimes i talk with people about gaming and when i ask if they know what Soldier of Fortune is, they all look at me with big eyes like "hell yeah i nolifed that game back in the day" (most probably playing the single player)

But yeah... i want more information !

"hell yeah i nolifed that game back in the day" (most probably playing the single player)
Yeah, I find it insane how the number of people who ONLY played the singleplayer is at least 3 TIMES the number of people who ONLY play(ed) multiplayer.
The comments in every SoF2 YouTube video (some of them have +200k views)/SoF2 subreddit I encountered are ALL about people sharing how much they loved the game (singleplayer) and would love to try it again.

All in all, this game is hella underrated and with a bit of advertisement to tell people "hey we know you love this game, ITS STILL ALIVE", we'll get so many old peeps back.

IIRC, I had done some digging in the past and ended up finding some LinkedIn profiles of the game developers who worked on SoF2MP.
I even remember I had DM'ed one of them; This was ages ago I don't think I ever went back to check whether or not he had replied.

I'd also like to know the history of this legendary game which frankily is still kicking after 22 years, and was arguably the foundation upon which Call of Duty was built (idk if im wrong).
I know Bully (from sof2.org) managed to get a hold on one or two ex-employees that worked on sof2 back in 2016 or so.
Back then the main reason was to either try to see if it would be possible to get the official source code to be released or for activision to put it on steam, but they said there was 0% of any of it happening with their focus on cod. (might misremember what he told me exactly, but I think it was something along those lines)

hell yeah i nolifed that game back in the day
Back in the days Solder of Fortune 2 was on every shelf for sale at game stores in the Netherlands.
Like the free record shop.
And before that SOF1 MP was also a big succes. I even played SOF1 online.
mp_raven is from SOF1

but they said there was 0% of any of it happening with their focus on cod.
studios/companies nowadays want games they can milk with a bunch of dlcs or shiny weapon/character skins :/

i still remember the "sof2 to steam" petition, it had no impact whatsoever but was a wholesome thing to do from the community..

SOF1 MP was also a big succes. I even played SOF1 online.
whaaat! i didn't know sof1 had mp, shame i havent tried it yet.
now lets talk about the stinker that is sof3 haha

studios/companies nowadays want games they can milk with a bunch of dlcs or shiny weapon/character skins :/

i still remember the "sof2 to steam" petition, it had no impact whatsoever but was a wholesome thing to do from the community..

whaaat! i didn't know sof1 had mp, shame i havent tried it yet.
now lets talk about the stinker that is sof3 haha
Sof3 exists?

Like the free record shop.
Free record shop... damnn it, i remember when i was young trying to buy games which had an age restriction and asked people outside of the store if they could buy the game for me if i gave them money...

I was to young to remember the old version of Free record shop. I know the one which had the blue like logo

1706774985665.png

or for activision to put it on steam
If this game would be on Steam and like a free to play, it would definitely revive the game.
i remember i said/asked something like this maybe 5 or 6 years ago on the old forums of 3D if this was even possible.

Sof3 exists?
Sof3 doesnt exist you’ve heard nothing
Really that game was idd a dumpsterfire
whaaat! i didn't know sof1 had mp
Sof1 mp was great, I think they still have maybe a couple of servers online.

who is "responsible" for making the official SOF2 silver singleplayer game, a multiplayer game
It’s still ravensoft - sof2 shipped together with MP when it was released. But back then it was mostly homemade servers and a lot of them were modless and localized to your country. TDM was heavily played (to the point where it was the most popular gametype) and mp_shop was the main map.

MP was what defined the game even tho SP graphics were out of this world for a game from 2002. Gore details were amazing.

Back