Go with the flow - my sof2 history

Janno

why let your life be controlled by fairytales
Blabla disclaimer blabla not everything is ofc exactly the same and I probably don’t remember it all. Definitely don’t remember most of the clan names

so, back around late 2002, thanks to a family friend I found out about sof2. He was playing demo, yet I didn’t know what the fuck it was so I ended up getting the normal full version. Still being a kid I probably was like a generic egy back then, new tag every day etc. Sof was actually quite a hit already then (mind you this was during the time when you didn’t have metacritics and whatever where mainstreams etc were defined), so if you found out about the game you were in luck.
At the start I mostly played wherever I got in, tdm was very popular back then so it was a lot of tdm as well. Mp_shop or fuck off basically.
As time went by I found out a lot of people are playing ctf, kam2 and there are like 4-5 full Estonian clans even there, so I started playing ctf. To get into a team you had to be at a certain level which I was not so I started wallhacking hard. Wallhacking so hard that around 2004 or so I think there wasn’t a single ctf server where I wasn’t banned. I used a lot of names, mateix, terminator etc, you know the mainstream bullshit back then. So, thanks to bans not being IP based (don’t ask me why, but they were name based), I renamed myself to jantsux and started playing without cheats. The meme ‘sux’ worked fine because I was trash. But in due time I ended up in a nice Estonian clan called gkz (grazykillers, guess nobody knew grammar). We had a lot of map creators in the team (and I don’t mean entity modders, I mean real map creators), basically every kam2 ram had their own ctf map cooked up where they wanted to play scrims. A very cool time. People didn’t whine if they had to download a map from whatever location because you either played with the rest or you fucked off. Servers were so packed that getting a slot in your favourite server wasn’t easy.

time went by and more larger clans started arising. Estonian teams started fading, most moved on to international teams. I was clanless for a while up until I ended up having a small stint with my own clan. Weird period, free forums, homemade servers, you know the drill. After a while as we didn’t have a lot of traction besides polish people (btw polish people were the egys of that time, only cheating and not a word in English), we stopped that and played clanless for a while. Up until a clan called FallenAngels started making rounds. A very fun team, ranks were like in the military so you had a tough time climbing it. Basically every day after school it was sof2 grind until midnight. Other clans started popping up left and right so I ended up multiclanning, idk why. I joined Skull n Bones (pretty much one of the best kam2 clans of all time, best players, think of it as kam2 version of togo), AirForces, SpecialOps (red alert wh kekw), mementoMori etc etc. I had tags everywhere and a clan status almost everywhere as well. I could play the game quite well so getting into teams was easy (E.g. to join a ctf team, for example specialops, you had to first get a score of 40/10 minimum in ctf when it was at least 8vs8 free game without camping, that got you to a tryout which was a 1v1 with a clan member, winning meant you got in for sure, losing was based on your opponent and performance, close loss/ tough opponent meant you got in yet a landslide loss meant you didn’t succeed). Around that time, Italy got very active suddenly, as it was ctf and I had played cs 1.6, I decided to try it out, immediately liked it although 3rdperson was a turnoff at start. I had multiple teams there as well, Pro~H, uno, elite and in the end, Coldfear. Coldfear ended up my last italy clan before recreating elite and later on savages here.
So by now I was playing ctf on kam2 and coldfear. maining fallenangels and coldfear on each side (different maps didn’t mean you were multiclanning). As FallenAngels had a lot of people in ColdFear, there was a deal made that the 2 teams will be connected (idk why, but they made that deal), which meant that all FallenAngels members were automatically coldfear members and v.v.
that sparked a lot of controversy in the team as there were a lot of people who didn’t like it, especially when the kam2 players playing Italy were garbage and Italy players being even worse in kam2. After all that fiasco I ended up kind of stopping ctf as by then, a new gametype called h&s was turning heads. After a while, I ended up in XYZ’z RPMPro hide&seek team. Was fun, it was very different compared to h&s we know right now. Some time went past and I ended up in another h&s server called R.S.I (led by our 1fxmod man @BoeMan). Officially I never made it to RSI team thanks to not being liked by certain member(s) so my RSI tag has always been a honorary after-death tag hhh. So we played a lot of h&s back then, somehow I ended up becoming mates with boe. Then at some time around late 2008-early 2009 (iirc), rsi project was killed, I played only a bit of Italy but even that was minuscule to an extent so I ended up leaving sof. After summer break and a lot of hours in guild wars with boe, idk was it nostalgia ir whatever, something brought me back to sof. I ended up inviting boe back and after a while, we had discussed about getting the mod back on track. Boe wanted to start from a clean slate and he wanted to go gold this time. As he was having a nostalgia trip himself with a gpu vendor 3dfx back then (he ended up getting a voodoo2 card if I recall correctly), we played on that name to come up with a new team and a mod name - that’s how 1fx got its name, an origin from 3dfx hhh.

After a while we had almost no success in gold, players didn’t understand 3rdperosn nor h&s there, it’s a completely different world, so we decided to move back to silver. After a while I had a hiatus from sof for a longer period, when I returned, 2k3 had pretty just died, as I was still in contact daily with boe I never got kicked (you don’t get kicked from 1fx anyhow) so I got back into 1fx and got a load of huge hatred against the team. By then 1fx server was an inf server so I ended up playing a lot of inf before starting to set a foot in a server called 3D (I didn’t like aT at all because monty wasn’t the face of that team, used to be an admin of aT back when Steven was leading it and that was a much better team). So after whining Stefan to give me admin for a while, I ended up applying in December 2013. Got accepted and within a month I turned 3D completely around, forums, domain, server management and so on, everything was turned around. Of course that caused a lot of fights with the members, but now only good memories remain. Also when I joined 3D I decided to revive Italy (no Italy mod worked with 1fxmod so I made my own which we still use). Me, Sander (det0x) and Stijn (egacy) made a team called Elite, while it was fun, it died thanks to a lack of leadership and thanks to Sander having to leave sof2. So the short stint with Italy died I got back to inf and grinded it hard, years went by, 3D got better and better, 1fxmod got better and better, jhona stopped by and asked about the Italy mod. I recalled his name back from Italy days so I gave him a server and we agreed on a name called savages. Jhona’s leadership made the team go to new heights as seen from Power’s post, he was still in touch with all the oldschoolers and having a 20+ server was normal during evenings. Savages died due to some personal reasons and problems, server is still up but leadership was gone. I’m still keeping the server up just because it’s fun to play from time to time.

during my time in 3D, we went from a free proboards stupid team with islam begging admin and having a handful of members to a very large family, having teams in cod2, gold and silver (multiple teams), to getting back where we are now. Always a h&s team in heart.

A lot of memories across the years, has been a wild ride and here’s hoping it will go on for more!

Janno (jantsux / screw and a dozen multiclanning names)

Very nice post Janno. I can sure relate to the stuff you were saying.
I hated the RSI server because I always saw bots called R.S.I. Ernie and a buch of other names. hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

And I also remember skull n bones and Airforces.
Airforces with the blue name and the weird O with a X in it.

Back